Friday, December 23, 2011

And Those Who Live There Too

As a child I grew up listening to a lot of John Denver. My particular favorites are the Wildlife Series and some of the Christmas albums. There is one track on the John Denver & the Muppets Christmas album in which John tells a story about a Christmas tree named Alfie. The story ends with John Denver asking us to include the wind, water, and woods and those who live there too into our Christmas prayers. This funny little story was very powerful to me for some reason and I did just as Mr. Denver said. From the age of about 6-12 not a day went by that I didn't close my nightly prayers with "please bless the rocks, the wind, the water, the woods, and those who live there." How could my parents not know they were getting an environmentalist for a child?
Our fellow creatures are in trouble, many of them are suffering, please include them in your Christmas prayers this year too. Merry Christmas from John Denver and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment