Sunday, May 20, 2012

Reginald Plans a Trip to Hawaii

I'm feeling better about having a big cyst on my ovary. Sure, I still have those underlying feelings of worry about it; I still feel like my body has been invaded and I don't like it. But, my sweet husband has made me feel a lot better about the whole thing. Ricky keeps talking to my cyst, which he has named Reginald, and kindly asking it to go away. Also, when we are having a debate about what to eat or who should do the laundry, he brings Reginald into the discussion and insists that Reginald is siding with him. Every time I forget to do something or I do something clumsy (which are fairly constant occurances)  I just blame Reginald. I am also blaming Reginald for the weird way I've been feeling a bit fat lately. It really could be him--certainly having an extra lime-sized bit of something in my body cannot be helping my figure. :) Since I can't do anything about the situation right now, at least it can be a source of laughter in our house.

We spoke in church today and it wasn't so bad. I actually felt really good about my talk and thought it was a decent combination of witty, informative, out-of-the-box, and spiritual. I didn't feel very emotional about it, I just didn't have the energy for that. I liked the topic that I spoke on and said some good things about continual learning, using our knowledge responsibily, and about making sure we serve people outside of the church just as much, if not more than those in it. I was even able to slip several good pro-environment messages into it, as well as a fairly good feminist bit and a shout out to the Oregon football team. I had the congregation chuckling on several  occassions, so all in all I'd call it a success.

The most exciting news of the day is that we are going to Hawaii! Ricky has been to Hawaii 6 or 7 times but I have never been. I know that lots of people have never been to Hawaii so I know this is a wonderful priveledge. Ricky was able to travel a lot as a child and had a really good time. When I was younger I went camping a lot, visited family in other cities and states, and saw many beautiful State and National Parks. I never felt like I was missing anything and had a great time on every trip. That being said, we want to travel more. We definitely want to explore the scenic beauty in our local area, but we also want to go abroad and overseas. There is so much world to explore and so many other cultures to learn from. So, even though my parents haven't made it to Hawaii yet (I am confident that they both WILL), we are going. We have several goals that we want to accomplish before we have kids, two of which are going to Hawaii together and going to Europe together. Those are experiences that we want to have just for us, so we can hang on to them when life gets crazy with careers and crying children.

We are flying from Eugene to Honolulu in December and are staying for a whole week. We are lucky enough to be going with some of our favorite friends and I know we will have an absolute blast. I'm so excited!



2 comments:

  1. Good thing the place has three bedrooms. We didn't realize REGINALD was coming. What a freeloader! Isn't naming your growth a comfort? I did the same thing with Sid. When I pulled the skin taut and moved it back and forth you could even see him! I was bummed because I wasn't married at the time and so nobody else ever got to poke him. I still have a divet (I can feel it, you can't see it) where Sid used to be. What does Reginald think of the Bachelorette?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, realistically, Reginald will probably either have gone away of his own free will or been surgically removed bythe time we go to Hawaii. But yes, giving it a name was oddly comforting. It makes it feel slightly less like there is a little devil inside of me and (this is a bit twisted) a little bit more like I'm letting it be there. I'm glad you had a weird growth too (obviously I wish you hadn't had it!) so that we can talk about it. It makes me feel better.
    Reg likes the Bachelorette so far. I'm glad they moved it to SC , it makes me feel like she's a better mom. She seems way more mature than a lot of those guys though, so we shall see. Helicopter guy seems douchey.

    ReplyDelete