Monday, July 16, 2012

Reading and Writing

Or writing and reading, however you like. I just love to write and read. Someone gave me a compliment on my blog writing today, which of course made my head swell to unecessary size. I responded, egotistically, by comparing myself to Albus Dumbledore and his wonderful pensieve. I told her that I felt like this blog was a form of a pensieve for me, I could unload my thoughts into it and release them into the great abyss, free of their burdens but not relinquishing them completely. I can always go back and read my own blog and remember what my memories are.

I wish I were an even better writer than I am. I guess it's a good thing that I'm keeping up with it and practicing then, eh?

Richard Louv, a wonderful author, has written several books, two of which I recommend to all of you now. The first is Last Child in the Woods, and the second is The Nature Principle. His writing is clear and engaging with just the right mix of science and story-telling. If you have children, grandchildren, neices or nephews, friends with children, are planning to have children, or even just know a child, you should read Last Child in the Woods. It is a thoughtful discussion of the many obstacles preventing modern children from connecting with nature, the problems they face because they are not connecting with nature and how to help remedy the situation. The Nature Principle is along a similar vein, but has a broader view, discussing adults and communities as well.

These books help to take the feelings that many of us are experiencing, validate them, assign terminology to them (so we can discuss them), and start us on the road to combatting problems such as nature-deficit disorder. I also love that Louv uses lots of evidence and several examples to back up his arguments. It helps me to be able to back up what I'm saying when I get in a discussion with someone and they don't want to trust what I'm saying.

So folks, when you finish your current read, pick up one of these awesome books, I really don't think you'll regret it. But, you don't have to take my word for it, check these books and more out your local library and see for yourself!



No comments:

Post a Comment