Monday, September 3, 2012

Point Defiance

A few weeks ago we took a little trip down to Tacoma and visited the Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium. As far as zoos go it was pretty small (I'm basing this off of Portland Zoo and Woodland Park Zoo size). Despite its small size we saw some really neat animals that we don't usually get the opportunity to see.

The star of the day was definitely Tilly the ardvark. In this photo she's asleep but later we saw her use her long tongue to lick yogurt out of a bottle and she walked on a leash!


 We also saw a beaver walking around the zoo on a leash. It was awesome and cute. Point Defiance Zoo had a lot of interesting extra things going on. It had animals that weren't in enclosures that zoo staff were showing people. Another one was this ancient tortoise.


We saw two adorable clouded leopard cubs and two red wolf pups. There were also two sumatran tigers, one of which was a week away from giving birth and the other one (in the photo) who put on a show for us. The tiger did something that Lucy does all of the time--it got up, walked around, ate a bunch of grass and then barfed. It was the most action I've ever seen from a tiger at the zoo.



The best part of our trip was the presentation we went to in the afternoon. The two-toed sloth, barn owl, vulture, bald eagle, parrot, iguana and other stars of the show were spectacular. The barn owl flew so close to the top of my head I could easily have touched it. I was so excited I almost peed and definitely got teary.

Overall it was not my favorite zoo I've ever been to but it had some really great attributes and I'm super glad we went.

This peacock came to bid us farewell as we walked back to the car.


No comments:

Post a Comment