Thursday, August 30, 2012

The "A" Word

A is for apple.
A is for alligator.
A is for Argentina.


I'm not planning on discussing apples, alligators or Argentinians in this post. Bummer.
Have you guessed it yet?

Yep, I'm going to talk about a topic that none of us really enjoy and that most of us avoid discussing.

Abortion.

I've been meaning to write a post about abortion for several months now. Since the republican party and Paul Ryan have pulled it to the forefront of political discussions and there was a post about it on FMH today I can't put it off any longer.

Since the topic of abortion was first brought to my attention in early high school I have been trying to decide what my stance is about the issue. First of all, it seems like the word "stance" doesn't fully describe this most sensitive topic. Regardless, my "stance" represents the conclusion that I've decided on after years of careful contemplation.

So, I'm Mormon. You all probably already know that. Like most Christian denominations, in Mormonism abortion is a big fat no-no. It's such a no-no that nobody ever discusses it at all. So, as a teenager I also thought that abortion was an evil-awful-no-good thing that only awful people did. As I've grown older, wiser and become aware of my feminist tendencies I've changed my mind. I still think that abortion is a no-good thing but I think most people, even the extreme pro-choice representatives, think that too.

Is it possible to be pro-choice and pro-life at the same time? I hope so, if not you'll have to commit me to an asylum because I've had my brain addled.

Here's why I'm pro-life: I think that a baby is a baby even when it's just a teeny thing growing inside of someone. I think that all of life should have a fair shot at living (thus my environmentalism). I think that there are spirits in Heaven waiting to come to Earth and get a body. I think that a lot of abortions happen out of fear and lack of education. There are many other options, both pre and post-conception, other than abortion.

Here's why I'm pro-choice: I believe that I have the right to control (to the best of my ability) what is happening inside my body. I want women in this country to be empowered. I don't think that women should have to bear the burdens of pregnancy if they have been the victims of rape, incest, or some other terrible situation (how is this not obvious to some people?). Sometimes the situation is just wrong. Not every woman in every environment is healthy or stable enough to endure a pregnancy and no person can decide that but them.



As you can see, I am sympathetic to both sides of this issue but I think there is more to the story. The culture around sex in this country is screwy (no pun intended). All of our advertisements are sex-centric but we also villianize any sex education other than "abstinence only." Basically the message we send to teens is, "Sex is the pan-ultimate, most desirable thing around but you have to stay away from it for a long time or else you'll get pregnant and have nasty STD's." News flash people: sex is going to happen, teen sex is going to happen, (even in Mormon culture)! In the climate we have created, young men and women are confused, ashamed, and too afraid to seek help before they have a problem.


But what can we do about this impossible situation? 

For starters we can educate our children. The first step to solving the abortion problem is avoiding unwanted pregnancies. Abstinence-only education is a farce and does not help reduce abortion rates. We need to teach children, especially women, how their bodies really work and the reasons why they work that way. Teach them that sex is an important physical and emotional part of life. Instead of putting it on a warped pedestal, teach them that it is normal. Most importantly, arm them with the decision-making skills and the knowledge and tools they need to be safe, regardless of their choices.

The next step is to make access to birth control actually accessible. Birth control, in its wide array of methods, along with good women's health care should be easy, safe, and inexpensive to get for everyone--even teenagers. People that are pro-life need to get behind this idea if they really want to save those unborn fetuses.

There should be more help. Seriously. Women that are pregnant but that don't want to keep the child should be offered lots of assistance so that they can carry the baby to term and adopt it out. Similarly, adoption should be way easier for birth parents and adoptive parents all around.


All of the things I outlined above will help reduce the need for abortion. I tend to consider them common sense, but hey, that's just me. Unfortunately, there will still be situations where abortion is considered. If the pregnancy is a result of rape or incest and that woman wants an abortion, I say she should be allowed an abortion. If the pregnancy is causing serious risks to the mother's health, she should be allowed an abortion. Sometimes a woman will just plain want an abortion, no convincing her otherwise. While I don't like it at all, I think that she should be allowed an abortion too. History has shown us what will happen if we outlaw abortions, abortions will still happen but they will be back-alley style. Back-alley abortions are dangerous and women will die. How can we be pro-life if we are promoting an ideal that results in women's deaths? It's best to have everything out in the open in the light of day where we can at least moniter the safety of all involved.


If you've read through this post and you still align yourself Paul Ryan and think that abortion should be completely illegal, I'm sorry. Please remember that we all, you included, cherish our rights and freedoms. Please remember that abortion is a big deal and that no woman makes the choice to have an abortion lightly. It's difficult and sad but women that choose to abort do so because they are making the decision that they feel is best for all involved. Remember to respect other people's decisions and to always tread softly.

That's what I have to say about that. If that post made you feel uncomfortably squeamish, I apologize. I promise that my next post will be filled with cheeriness and animals.

2 comments:

  1. Well said! Knowledge is power!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren! I agree with you that everyone should have their agency to choose, even if the choices people make aren't the choices you or I would necessarily make (I'm not a fan of abortion but like you said, to each their own). I found this on the lds website about abortion, it looks like they seem to agree with your views about the impossible situation:

    Church leaders have said that some exceptional circumstances may justify an abortion, such as when pregnancy is the result of incest or rape, when the life or health of the mother is judged by competent medical authority to be in serious jeopardy, or when the fetus is known by competent medical authority to have severe defects that will not allow the baby to survive beyond birth. But even these circumstances do not automatically justify an abortion. Those who face such circumstances should consider abortion only after consulting with their local Church leaders and receiving a confirmation through earnest prayer.

    I'm glad you posted your link through facebook so I could check out your blog! Our blog is: joyandaaron.blogspot.com

    Oh, and congrats on moving back to Eugene, that is AWESOME! Aaron always talks about moving there, but I highly doubt that will ever happen :).


    ReplyDelete