Tuesday, March 12, 2013

DIY: Grandma's Doily

My great-grandma used to make doilies all of the time and hand them out to various family members. I'm sure my sister and I have at least a dozen each. I'm not really the type of person that would put doilies around the house as a decoration but I wanted to do something special with at least one of them.



I decided to make this dream-catcher to hang on my wall. This was a super easy project because I didn't  have to buy anything and I was able to finish it in one afternoon. I used white thread to tie the doily around the inner hoop of the embroidery hoop. All of the feathers I used on the bottom are ones that I found on my hikes and walks while we lived in Seattle. I superglued the feathers together at their tips, tied them with some basic twine, and then tied the three sections of twine to the outer embroidery hoop.




I chose to hang this sentimental craft in the center of a main wall, surrounded by other art pieces that are special to me. Can't wait to enjoy this for years to come!





Special thanks to my great-grandmother, Elizabeth Stout, for giving me this lovely doily.


No comments:

Post a Comment