Friday, August 10, 2012

My Oasys was Really a Mirage

No, I did not mispell the word "Oasis" by accident. Today I had my annual eye exam, necessary so that I could continue to refill me contacts prescription. I saw a new doctor at the closest Costco since this is our first year up here. I absolutely loved the doctor I saw. She asked me if I was still wearing Acuvue Oasys brand contacts (which are the most popular) and I said that I was. She proceeded to ask if I was happy with them and, deciding that I was not crazy for my dissatisfaction, I said that I wasn't. I told her that I work outside all day every day, that my contacts often get blurry and move off of my pupils, wear out quickly, and that I sometimes have seasonal allergies. I also mentioned that I could pretty much always feel the contact in my eye at least a little bit, which shouldn't be the case. I told her that I felt like my prescription strength needed boosted as well (meaning I needed stronger lenses because my vision has deteriorated...again).

She was so nice and did lots of extra tests and looking at my eyes. She even flipped up my eyelids and looked at those. No doctor, in the 15 years that I've been seeing an optometrist, has ever looked under my eyelids. She also told me that I was a great patient for giving her all of that information. I always give my doctors lots of information and usually feel like I'm being annoying, so that made me feel validated.

It turns out that I did in fact need a stronger prescription. In addition, the underside of my eyelids essentially look like eyelid gravel, instead of the smooth texure they are supposed to be. She thinks that my eyes may be slightly allergic to the lenses, they aren't quite fitting correctly and that my allergies and outdoorsyness are too much for my contact solution to handle.

She gave me a new fancy lens case with hydrogen peroxide lens cleaner, a prescription for allergy eyedrops to use twice a day, and a new type of lenses too. She was awesome and nice and I really felt taken care of. I can't say that I'm surprised that my eyes are faulty and finicky like the rest of my body. That is sort of how it goes for me. At least they are pretty though, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment