Monday, December 24, 2012

Where are You Christmas?

Well friends, I've had a really tough time getting into the Christmas spirit this year. First it was my 3-week cold that had me down, then it was all of the effort I had to put into the move from Seattle to Eugene. I thought for sure I'd feel Christmasy once we made it to Eugene but we were only here for 3 days before heading to Hawaii and Christmas just doesn't happen in July. In Hawaii there was Christmas musc playing on the radio and trees decorated with bells and baubles but it all felt really fake because of the 75 degree weather, the sunshine, and palms. I had an amazing time in Hawaii but I was too busy relaxing and enjoying my mid-winter's summer to think about Christmas.

Now that it is Christmas Eve, I wish I could say I was feeling that Christmas joy. Instead I've been filled with extreme worry and stress. One of my very closest friends, Motion deSmiths, has been in labor with her first child since Friday morning. She planned to have a home-birth with a midwife, and while she labored at home until late last night, they finally decided to go to the hospital. I couldn't think about anything but her and the baby in church yesterday and have been frought with worry. I've been getting occasional updates from the dad but they are much too few and far between.

We are supposed to leave to head up to Salem in an hour and a half but I don't know that I can go until I get confirmation that mom and baby are healthy and no longer attached to one another.

To tell you the truth, the birth of this little boy has been consuming my thoughts much more than the birth of our Savior. I know that Jesus is safe and happy, now I want my friend to be safe and healthy with her child too. There are many people sending up prayers for this little family right now, please add yours to the mix if you can.

Merry Christmas Eve.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, sweet Lauren. I can't wait to see you. I really did not realize how stressed out we were making everyone else by not updating. But after so many false starts, we weren't sure what to say. We just hoped people would believe us when we said mom and baby are healthy. We were tended to and monitored constantly.

    Come see us when you get back!

    ReplyDelete