Saturday, June 23, 2012

A Letter to Myself

I just recieved a letter via snail mail written by my 18 year old self to my current self. One of my absolute favorite high school teachers, Mr. Lampert, had us write letters to ourselves five years in the future during the last week of high school senior year. He dutifully fulfilled his part by keeping them and posting them out to us.

This is what my letter said, word for word:

Dearest Lovely Lauren,


        My wonderful physics teacher Mr. Lampert is having me write to myself in 5 years, which is now, since you're reading this. I am however expecting a few things out of you. I expect that you have come up with some ingenious or hard-working way to put yourself though college. If not, that means you gave up and I'm very disappointed. Go to school, learn, gain knowledge--knowledge is essential in this life and the next. 
       As of right now, you are dating the most amazing man alive--Ricky Holton. You love him and he loves you.  He waltzed into your life without warning and has taught you how to be loved, as well as how to do physics! Don't screw things up with him, he's the real deal. You may even be married to him right now, if you are, congrats! Don't have kids right away. Travel, live your life, just be married for a while.
       Love the Lord, He has given you everything. Don't give up, you are not alone, your Savior Jesus Christ walks with you. You have amazing friends, especially Kim Thai. She is smart, talented, and she has supported you a lot. Don't you dare lose her as a friend. 
        No matter what you do with the rest of your life, sing always, play piano, go to church, and don't be afriad. Love yourself and love others. Fix your relationship with your mother if you haven't already--she's your mom, you're connected. Humble yourself and forgive. Be free--go outside and put your feet in the grass, breathe, and run. Be strong Lauren, I know you are. Never say "can't." Nothing is impossible. Live.


                              Love, 
                        Lauren June 6th, 2007


Not my best writing ever but not too bad for an 18 year old kid. I must say, I think I did a pretty darn good job of living up to my own expectations. I paid my own way through school and graduated with honors. I married that man, the one I still think is the most amazing man alive. We've waited two years to have kids so far and we have another year and a half before we'll even start trying. We took our first roadtrip together four years ago and we're going to Hawaii this year. We're even planning another really big trip for next year.

I love the Lord and I still love my friends--including Kim Thai. She's so great. I've made new friends too and I love them. I'm on good terms with my mom. I hav a job that lets me go outside and enjoy nature every single day.

It was really nice to get that letter. It made me feel good about my accomplishments. It reminded me that I can definitely set goals and achieve them and that my life is on the right track. Thanks Mr. Lampert!

No comments:

Post a Comment