Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Two Black Bunnies and a Great Big Owl

I know a lot of you are wondering so, yes, I am loving my new job thus far. For those of you who weren't wondering because you didn't know I got a new job and now you are wondering, I am working for Seattle Parks and Recreation at Discovery Park's Nature Day Camp. And I love it.

Discovery Park is amazing; it is one of the places here in Seattle that has really grown on me. I will really miss all 534 acres of it if/when we move away from here. Discovery Park has beaches, forests, meadows and ponds. There are hiking trails, biking trails, and even a lighthouse.

I have my first batch of campers this week--preschoolers! Sometimes working with 4-5 year olds can resemble babysitting a tad more than I'd like, but these kids are pretty smart. They are teaching me practically as much as I'm teaching them. They love to tell me about the Euphorbia plants in their yards, show me the caterpillars they catch, and remind me not to touch the stinging nettle. It's also really funny how attached they can get to people so quickly. It's been three days so far but at the end of day one they were already climbing all over me and thinking I was the coolest person ever. My den (classroom) is the yellow one (each teacher has their own den and each was assigned a color). Each week the kids get to come up with a den name so mine chose the Yellow Caterpillars. One girl wanted to be the Yellow Sea Lemons, which I thought was a-dor-able but the other kids nixed it. So, Yellow Caterpillars, yay!

I work outside every single day, regardless of rain, despite all weather. Earlier this week I saw two black bunnies in the meadow AND a big sleepy owl in a low tree. How cool is that? I feel so lucky that I get to see such wonderful things at my job. It hardly feels like work. I hike, I kid-wrangle, I run, I play, I laugh. By the end of the summer I am going to be fit and tan and happy.


1 comment:

  1. This sounds like so much fun! I am so excited you get to spend the summer doing something you enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete